Lana Puckett & Kim Person
Lana Puckett & Kim Person
Who We Are
The original musical compositions of Americana singer/songwriters Lana Puckett and Kim Person have best been described as “music written in the key of life.”
Lana and Kim are a gifted female duo, and are well known for their vocal styles, intricate guitar skills and amazing vocal harmonies. This long time writing and performance team has garnered an impressive list of career accomplishments, including First Place Country Vocalist Winner in the International American Songwriter Festival/Columbia Recording Artist Search, Four Time Kerrville, TX New Folk Finalists, Napa Valley Songwriter Winners, Two time Falcon Ridge Folk Festival Finalists, North East Regional Folk Alliance Official Showcase Artists and they are nationally recognized for their award winning songwriting; most notably having their song “Cornstalk Pony” recorded by legendary singer/songwriter, Steve Gillette. Lana and Kim have shared the stage with Pam Rose, Jill Colucci, Stephen Bennett, Judy Ward, Tommy Emmanuel and The Kingston Trio among others.
Kim’s passion for the natural sound of the acoustic guitar has led her to become one of the most sought after acoustic guitar producers and recording engineers in the world, working with Stephen Bennett, Martin Taylor, Frank Vignola, Pam Rose, Matt Thomas, Dustin Furlow and earning a Grammy nomination and two Australian Golden Guitars for her work with Tommy Emmanuel. In 2020 she won Producer of the Year for The Veer Magazine Virginia Music awards.
Lana and Kim have recorded and produced three successful CDs on the Cimirron/ Rainbird Records, “Windows of Life”, “At Christmas the Heart Goes Home”, and “The Gift of Christmas”.
In 2020 Kim & Lana produced a new recording of their original song “Cornstalk Pony” for the duo, at Cimirron/Rainbird Recording in Yorktown. Due to the restrictions of the pandemic they worked remotely with Nashville friends, Alison Prestwood on bass, Jim Hoke on pedal steel and harmonica and John Gardner on percussion, with Kim Person on acoustic guitars and percussion. This new recording of “Cornstalk Pony” is featured in a PBS video series called “The Wild Side” which is currently airing across Tennessee and Kentucky PBS affiliates. New recordings are slated for 2021 as well.
How You Wrote the Song for the Video
In the creative world songwriters and artists often talk about being given gifts from the Muse and the song “Cornstalk Pony Days” is a wonderful musical gift that came to life triggered by memories of playful summer days riding make believe Cornstalk Ponies. The lyrics and melody of the song paint a nostalgic colorful picture of two little outlaws in a make believe world filled with horses and cowboy heroes.
Why We Do What We Do
We do what we do to nourish our artistic souls, and prayerfully nourish the souls of all those who listen.
- International American Song Festival/Columbia Recording Artist Search - First Place Country Vocalist
- “Cornstalk Pony” written by Lana and Kim recorded by major recording artist, Steve Gillette on his “Texas to Tennessee” CD
- East Coast Country Music Championship/Kings Dominion - First Place Band Virginia Country Music News - First Place Traditional Female Vocalists Distinguished Service Award & Lifetime Membership - Virginia Music Association
Singer/Songwriter Artist Showcases and Awards
- 33rd Annual Mid Atlantic Song Contest - Bluegrass/Country
- Falcon Ridge Festival New Artist Showcase, Albany, NY
- South Florida Folk Festival Songwriting Showcase, Tampa, FL
- North East Folk Alliance Official Showcase, Boston, MA
- Napa Valley Emerging Songwriters Showcase, Napa Valley, CA
- Chosen Four times to appear at the Kerrville New Folk Singer/Songwriter Competition, Kerrville, TX
- Austin Songwriters Group, First Place Winner, Austin, TX
- Virginia Organization of Composers & Lyricists - First Place Awards Country and Gospel,
- Songwriters Association of Washington, D.C. - Adult Contemporary and Gospel Awards
- Billboard Songwriters Festival - Adult Contemporary and Rock Categories
- Music City Song Festival - Country & Rock Categories
Original Music Scores written for Film
- Telly Award - Houston Film Festival - Documentary
- Gold Award - Houston Film Festival - Documentary
- Daily Press - Jingle Production - Original music and vocal performances ERBBE Video - Lockeed Martin Corporation
- Nashville Network - You Can Be A Star - Nashville, TN American Song Festival Video - New York City, NY WHRO-Norfolk, VA
- American Song Festival Video - New York City, NY WTKR News, VA-Original Music Series
- WTAR-Dick Lamb Show
- Cowgirls - Cimirron/Rainbird Records - C/RR-001
- Windows of Life - Cimirron/Rainbird Records - C/RR-005
- At Christmas the Heart Goes Home - Cimirron/Rainbird Records - C/RR-015 The Gift of Christmas - Cimirron/Rainbird Records - C/RR-045